Monday, June 16, 2014

Oral Roberts University Tulsa OK

I was in junior high school when I attended a church camp put on by a non-denominational church where I grew up.  I attend really more for social reasons than spiritual ones, the church had a lively youth program that put on events throughout the year.  At that age there aren't many options as far as what to do with one's time where I grew up.  We were bused all the way to Tulsa, OK, possibly in my first trip to the state of Oklahoma.  I believe I had driven through the state but never stayed for any period of time, even though my father went to graduate school at OSU.

I'm not particularly familiar with who Oral Roberts is, though I believe he was a business man that was very religious and donated a ton of money to this university because it had some crazy architecture.  Saying that I didn't go there for spiritual reasons, I still found myself overcome with the collective feeling of awe throughout my time there.

We passed these hands on the way in and out.  I felted changed when I left, though I was a very impressionable kid and it would have been hard to not feel something after this whole experience.  In the auditorium there were elaborate worship, shows or gatherings I guess I would say.  I was raised Catholic and Mass and this were worlds apart.

Many of the buildings were designed strikingly, the dorms where we stayed were somewhat similar to the ones at OU, though on a smaller scale.  The Prayer Tower was an incredible building that hosted a flame at its top, constantly.  I think the architecture greatly influenced the feeling of almost being in another world, they were inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment