Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Saint Mary Cathedral Austin TX





I encountered this cathedral a few times when I was younger, but my oldest brother was recently married here a couple years ago.  There aren't many cathedrals like this in Texas, or at least not many that I have visited and walked through.  Being involved with a wedding there was an interesting experience because it was not a typical Mass experience and I actually walked through some rooms that I may have never visited as a parishioner.  I like the asymmetrical aspect of the front facade with the larger tower on the left that is a little broader than the right tower or turret if you will.  To the left of that larger tower is actually a small courtyard between the main cathedral and other connecting buildings that the church uses.







The inside is really rather overwhelming, but in way that one would want in a church, as people come here to worship and the aura inside is really one of grandeur.  During the ceremony I felt very solemn and impressed, which I'm sure the architect intended for anyone that were to visit this cathedral.


It is hard to tell from the picture, but the rose colored columns were really imposing, though that may have been just me being unused to being at the altar opposed to in a pew.  The acoustics in the cathedral were great, the main chapel being an expansive box with soaring ceilings.  Above the altar there was work on the dome to make an effect similar to a starry sky, as if the heavens were right above it.


Overall, I thought it was a very appropriate place for a ceremony like a marriage.  It made the ceremony feel not just official, but sacred.  The cathedral's effect on the ceremony and everyone present felt heavy, as if the cathedral was an individual presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment